Saturday, April 26, 2008

French people are ridiculous sometimes

Really sappy romance movies. You know the kind. The girl is leaving on a jet plane (or a train) and she's overcome with emotion at having to leave the love of her life behind. They're clinging to one another, but pretty soon she has to get on the train, and maybe they do the thing where she puts her hand up to the window and he does the same and they stare into each others' eyes as the train pulls away.
I often find myself rolling my eyes when this happens. Nobody in the world is that melodramatic. Seriously.

Except the French. Because (and I'm being completely serious here) I've seen this scenario acted out THREE TIMES since I've been here. Complete with the pressing the hands against the glass thing. And once, the girl jumped off the train for one last hug and kiss right before the doors closed and the train left. Each time, there was much gazing into eyes and lingering embraces and reassurances that she would be home soon. And for some reason it was always the girl who was leaving. Maybe that's just a coincidence.

I felt bad for laughing because it seemed truly traumatic for the couples I saw doing this. But seriously. Who'd have thought this stuff happened in real life?

For this and other reasons, people-watching on public transportation is quickly becoming a favorite hobby of mine. More on this later when it's not three in the morning France time.

No comments: